|Home » Artwork Requirements|
BNoticed – Artwork Requirements
This provides an overview of artwork requirements associated with imprinting promotional products and apparel. However, there may be more specific requirements (e.g. imprint area, color options, etc.) based on individual products and imprint methods. Please contact BNoticed for the specific requirements of your product(s). As an alternative, use our optional Artwork Services and we’ll take care of it all for you and send you a final proof for your approval!
Types of Artwork
Vector Artwork - Vector artwork or graphics use geometrical forms such as lines, curves and shapes that represent images (including text) in computer graphics. Vector artwork allows for separation of colors which is necessary for many forms of customization which involve imprinting one color at a time on a product. This includes silk screening and pad imprinting which are two of the most common methods use for printing on promotional products and clothing. Vector artwork is most frequently created using applications such as Adobe Illustrator. Key considerations associated with vector artwork include:
· All fonts or text must be converted to vector graphics. The illustration below depicts how fonts saved as vector art appear when viewed in Illustrator. It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of artwork prior to converting fonts to vector format so that you can edit the text more easily later.
· Be aware that certain fonts and thin lines in artwork may not imprint clearly particularly when sized for smaller imprint areas.
· Small text or areas in your graphics may fill, especially on smaller imprint areas.
· If your artwork contains linked files, the linked files must be submitted along with the final artwork file. As an alternative, you can un-link the files.
· Scanned images and photographs or digital images cannot readily be converted into Vector artwork. While line-based artwork can be re-created into vector format, digital photographs cannot readily be re-created precisely into vector format.
· Vector artwork should be saved as an eps (“.eps”) or Postscript Format. This allows your document to be opened in either PC or MAC systems. Note that simply because a file is saved as an eps file does not mean that it is vector artwork. Raster images may also be saved in eps format.
· Vector artwork is typically required for all forms of screen printing, pad printing, etching, and engraving. It can also be used for embroidery and digital printing.
Raster Artwork -Raster artwork or graphics are images represented by points of color (pixels) that are typically represented as a grid of colored rectangles. Bitmap (“.bmp”) and jpeg images are an example of raster graphics. Raster artwork cannot readily be color-separated. In addition, when enlarged, Raster artwork may show pixilation or jagged lines. Raster artwork can
· Raster files must be saved at 100% or larger than the actual imprint area.
· Individual products may include a specific DPI (dots per square inch) requirement for raster artwork. DPI correlates to the number of pixels per square inch in the image file. Typically, higher the DPI counts provide better image quality allowing for resizing without distortion of the image. Note that larger DPI counts typically result in larger file sizes.
· Raster artwork can typically be used for embroidery and digital imprinting. In addition, some factories, though not all, utilize use heat transfers that are digitally imprinted which would accommodate Raster artwork. Raster artwork is typically not suitable for any imprint requiring color separation. In particular, Raster artwork is typically not suitable for standard silk screening, pad imprinting, engraving, or etching.
Typesetting – The development of text only imprints are often referred to as Typesetting. While historically typesetting involved things like movable type, printing presses, ink and paper; today, typesetting is more commonly performed digitally. In the case of promotional products, this is type is typically laid out using programs like Adobe Illustrator and must be converted to vector graphics. As noted previously, it’s important to save a copy of the artwork prior to converting to vector format to allow for subsequent editing. Once converted to vector format, text cannot easily be edited.
Artwork Requirements By Imprint Method
The table below identifies the typical artwork requirements based on the type of imprint. As previously noted, there can be some specific product requirements that differ.
As illustrated by this table, vector artwork is typically suitable for any imprint method. For this reason, BNoticed recommends that, whenever possible, customers utilizing in-house or 3rd party Graphic Artists always request a vector version of their artwork that both supports color separation as well as vector fonts.
For a limited number of products, artwork must be submitted using a customized template provided by the factory. For example, Custom Playing Cards typically require submission of artwork using a custom template provided by the factory. Upon finalizing an order, BNoticed will provide the template to Customers when one is required. The templates must be used in accordance with any accompanying instruction and the templates may not be altered in any way aside from inclusion of the Customer’s artwork within the template. At the Customer’s request, this effort may be accomplished by BNoticed as part of our Free Basic Artwork Services (see below).
BNoticed Artwork Services
BNoticed offers Free Basic Artwork Services on orders of $250 or more for customers who require it. Basic artwork service includes up to a maximum of 30 minutes of BNoticed’s Graphic Artists time. This is generally adequate for creation of basic designs, modifications to existing artwork, recreation of basic raster artwork into vector artwork and most typesetting requirements. The 30 minute maximum is inclusive of any and all edits or subsequent artwork adjustments. Estimates are provided for services that are expected to exceed 30 minutes or if additional time is required beyond 30 minutes (e.g. due emergent edit requests, etc.).
In the event that your order requires artwork services, please be aware that additional lead time will be required for these services. If your order has a tight deadline, this may necessitate rush production and or shipping to meet your in-hands date. While we will make every attempt to advise you if we foresee such a potential requirement, we cannot fully anticipate all possible changes and edits that you may desire nor potential delays in artwork approvals.
Also, please note that artwork prepared by BNoticed as a free service will not be delivered to you in an editable form for use elsewhere. Since this service represents an investment BNoticed has made to secure your order, editable artwork will not be delivered for reuse elsewhere but will be retained for your exclusive use* on future orders and reorders made through BNoticed. If you require editable versions of artwork, the standard artwork service fee will apply based on labor required to produce the artwork.
By placing an order on this site and/or requesting artwork services, Customers represent that they have the right to use all logos, text, graphics, images and/or artwork submitted for imprinting on merchandise. This includes any artwork created by BNoticed on behalf of the customer. BNoticed reserves the right, under the appropriate circumstances and at our sole discretion, to refuse to accept artwork requests and orders from customers who we have reason to believe are infringing upon or otherwise violating the intellectual proper rights of others.
*Note: Customer’s exclusive use of artwork created as a free service to customers applies to custom artwork featuring your logo or other fully-custom elements and does not apply to any stock-artwork or images that may be utilized.